According to Remodeling magazine’s latest Cost vs. Value Report, a minor kitchen remodeling project averages around $20,000, and a full remodel averages at about $111,000. Whew! That’s a pretty hefty price to pay, there’s no doubt about that, but it may be a necessary cost. Recent research has shown that the kitchen is the #1 room in the that home buyers are concerned about. In other words, your kitchen can make or break the deal when trying to sell your home. That doesn’t mean that you have to pay $111,000 to sell your home though; here are some ways to improve your kitchen without breaking the bank.
- Borrow ideas from kitchens remodels that you see on TV, in movies, and in home and design magazines
- Even a smaller investment of just $5,000 can make a huge difference in the function and appearance of your kitchen
- Repainting is a cheap and simple way to improve the look of your kitchen
- If you have to replace the countertops, use laminate instead of granite
- Stainless steel appliances are very popular right now. If you can’t afford to replace your appliances though, opt for a stainless steel trashcan, toaster, paper towel holder, etc.
- If you can afford to replace some bigger appliances, replace the refrigerator and the stovetop. These appliances will stand out most
- Let in the light. Big windows and skylights are real sellers in a kitchen, but if that’s not in the budget, simply add some lights under the cabinets to help brighten up the room
- Larger floor tiles (16-22 inches) look more modern than smaller (8 inch) tiles
- Replace dated cabinets if you can, repaint if you can’t.
- Add more kitchen storage. If you don’t have extra closet or cabinet space in the kitchen, pick a close-by area to set up shelving or drawers for kitchen items, such as canned goods, or even appliances
- Knock out a wall if you have a smaller kitchen; big, open kitchens are more efficient and more popular with buyers in today’s housing market
- If you plan on completely remodeling, or even just doing serious updating, it may be best to hire an architect or designer to help you with the project
Read the full article here.